Thursday 7 April 2022

Critical Reflection

The goals that I set for myself at the start are to relearn all the materials that Professor Brad is teaching and improve my oratorical skills through observing Professor Brad's teachings, making him a role model. I achieved my first goal by relearning all the materials that was taught. At the start of every lesson, I ensure that I join the class with an open-mind to listen and understand what was being taught so that I can process and accept it. Some of the materials that I relearned are the framework and structure when writing a summary. Before this, I was taught a different method of writing a summary. However, I listened and understood how to write according to the framework taught. I paid attention to all the comments and feedback given to every student during every lesson. The most significant and impactful lesson for me was the presentation tips and advice. I believe that this advice is best given when observing mock presentations. Common mistakes that have become a habit such as using Singlish, slouching, and improper handover of presentation can only can observed when carrying out the mock practical itself and viewing others to notice our own mistakes.
Hence, with an open mind to relearn I am able to gain more knowledge to unlearn the mistakes and to relearn and to learn to increase my knowledge.
I achieved my second goal of improving my oratorical skills with Professor Brad as my role model. I observed the eye contact he used to engage with the audience and he engages students in his class by giving them the opportunity to share their thought, ideas and giving them the opportunity to present simple topics every lesson. I also learn how to use the appropriate tone and to project my voice according to the crowd through observing Proffesor Brad's teachings. Hence, I was able to apply and improve my oratorical skills through observing Professor Brad as the presenter and myself as an audience. I find his lesson very meaningful and engaging, and this is the type of impact I want to leave on my audience.

To build on my communication, I find role models whom I can learn from, such as Professor Brad. I also use the opportunity in class to present be it small topics or presentation projects as this allows me to practice. When Professor Brad keep changing our seats, I use the opportunity to speak to my classmates whom I have not spoken to yet.
To improve on my communication skills, I will continue to learn from sources such as TedTalks, I will be opinion and feedbacks of my communication from anyone, and learn from it, and I will read more books and articles as these reliable sources are made of proper sentences, grammar, and vocabulary.

One focus of my research project is teamwork skills. I believe that this skill can only be learned and improved through experience as knowledge from books and advices from people can never be enough. Every human is different, therefore, our teamwork skills can never be sufficient. Everyone will definitely face difficulties and challenges. I learn that everyone have got their own opinions and ideas. At first, I believe that if my idea was good enough, there is no need to discuss to others as it is a waste of time. However, as i listened to others ideas, I feel like it made me smarter as I gain so much from their strengths. Besides that, although my idea was used for the project, my teammates opinions and ideas were the ones that enhanced and made this device more realistic and effective. I learned to be open-minded, have listening ears, and patience. Without these teamwork skills, my group could have possible encountered arguments and we might not accomplish to produce our desired product for the final project. This teamwork skills is a key takeaway for me as it allows me to adapt in new working environments and it allows me to be more knowledgeable as I learn from everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Irdina, for this richly detailed and interesting critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed various facets of the reflection assignment – module learning and the project -- and that you considered specific areas in depth. The idea of using models for your own skills development, for example, is a good one, and you detailed that well. You have also presented multiple takeaways.

    In addition, you've written this reflection with good fluency.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

The goals that I set for myself at the start are to relearn all the materials that Professor Brad is teaching and improve my oratorical skil...